Hindu Vivek Kendra
A RESOURCE CENTER FOR THE PROMOTION OF HINDUTVA
   
 
 
«« Back
Bofors scam: CBI wants Quattrocchi case dropped

Bofors scam: CBI wants Quattrocchi case dropped

Author: ITGD Bureau
Publication: India Today
Date: January 4, 2011
URL: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/125511/LATEST%20HEADLINES/bofors-scam-cbi-wants-quattrocchi-case-dropped.html

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Tuesday pleaded for withdrawal of proceedings against Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi in the Bofors pay-off case, saying it got no fresh instructions from the government in the wake of the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (ITAT) order.

As proceedings began before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav, advocate Ajay Agarwal, who has challenged the CBI's move, contended that the matter be re-looked at in view of the ITAT's recent order.

The ITAT had on Monday said that kickbacks of Rs 41 crore were paid to Win Chaddha and Quattrocchi in the gun deal.

Yadav asked Additional Solicitor General P.P. Malhotra, who appeared for the CBI, whether the agency had received any fresh instructions on the issue. Malhotra replied that no instructions had been given and sought withdrawal of the case against 70-year-old Quattrocchi.

The ITAT order was also placed before the court.

Agarwal said that Union Law Minister M. Veerappa Moily had made a statement that the government will take a fresh look on the matter in light of the ITAT order. But Malhotra said he wasn't aware of any such statement and that the withdrawal application was filed after looking at all aspects of the case.

The court had earlier reserved its order on CBI's plea seeking withdrawal of criminal proceedings against Quattrocchi, the sole surviving accused in the Bofors case.

Agarwal has maintained that the government and the CBI were trying to close the case despite having sufficient evidence against Quattrocchi.

But justifying its closure report, the CBI had contended that it was difficult to secure the presence of Quattrocchi for prosecution and that all other accused were either dead or charges against them quashed by the Delhi High Court.


Back                          Top

«« Back
 
 
 
  Search Articles
 
  Special Annoucements